Vegan Doggie Birthday Cake Recipe
I lived in Japan for 5 years until February 2018, and the doggie birthday cake boom was fully in swing. There were recipes on all of the normal Japanese recipe websites, and even pop up cafes where your dog would sit with you and be served a proper meal, fit for human consumption, but tweaked for the puppy’s pleasure.
That might be a bit too far… but I did take a shot at making my very own vegan doggie birthday cake, using a Japanese recipe.
2 medium sized sweet potatoes
2-3 slices of carrot
1/2 an apple
1 broccoli stem
- Peel the sweet potatoes, and slice them
- Blast the sweet potato, broccoli stem, and carrot slices in the microwave at 800W for 5 minutes in a microwaveable bowl to soften
- Meanwhile, thinly slice 1/4 of an apple (see pic below) until you have a collection of wafer thin translucent slices. Microwave for 1 minute
- Carve a few bite-size semicircles out of the remaining 1/4 of the apple
- With the slices of apple, roll up a few layers to make a number of rose-shapes (see pic below). Lay on side and cut a bit off the narrow end to allow the rose to stand.
- Take the soft sweet potato slices, and push through a strainer (or a sieve) until a smooth paste has been created. Using a cake frame, create a circular potato cake
- Cut the carrot slices into heart shapes, and slice the broccoli stem into leaf shapes
- Places onto the sweet potato cake, and place the apple roses on the broccoli stems to represent a rose and its leaves
VOILA! Bon appetit!
And there you have it, your very own vegan dog birthday cake